Friday, January 21, 2011

Chai up your life

I am a chai fanatic. I love chai tea, soy chai lattes, chai scented candles, even just saying ‘chai’ for the sake of it. I adore cinnamon, vanilla and honey in everything, so that’s probably why!

I came across my FAVOURITE chai at The Rocks Aroma Festival in 2010. Let me introduce you to Bondi Chai.

It is an all-Australian product: made in Australia, using mostly aussie ingredients and is Australian-owned. It comes in Vanilla Honey or Club Cinnamon.

It’s gluten free, halal certified, made with skim milk powder and whey powder. I make mine with 99% fat free soy milk. Bondi Chai is also 99% fat free if made with skim milk, so you can enjoy this scrumptious drink without feeling too guilty! On a hot day, it’s also nice blended with ice for a refreshing Chai frappe.

I contacted Martin, co-owner of Bondi Chai with a ridiculously enthusiastic email about how good their chai is, also asking if I could be a Bondi Chai demonstrator. Not only did he reply just as enthusiastically, he said he’d love to have me on board and is even sending me a complementary packet of Bondi Chai. LOVE!

Here’s a recipe I used for Chai cookies I made at Christmas - people loved them!

Chai Cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 30 (2 cookies each)

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened  
  • 1 cup sugar or stevia
  • 3 tablespoons Bondi Chai
  •  1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups corn flakes (crushed to 1 cup)

Directions

1. In large bowl stir together flour and baking powder. Set aside.

2. In large mixing bowl beat butter, sugar and 3 tablespoons Bondi Chai on medium speed of electric mixer until combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add cornflakes and flour mixture, mixing until combined.

3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in 2 tablespoons Bondi Chai, if desired. Place on ungreased baking sheets, flatten with a fork. Bake at 190C about 7 minutes or until light brown. Let stand on baking sheets for 1 minute. Remove and cool on wire racks


Adapted from this recipe: http://www2.kelloggs.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?id=6146

No comments:

Post a Comment